On December 6, 2023, the Office of the Auditor General for Ontario released its "Value-for-Money Audit of the Management of Aggregate Resources in the province.
Its main findings are:
- The most recent study of aggregate study and demand indicates a significant oversupply.
- The MNRF is failing to adequately inspect aggregate operations.
- Violations are widespread in the aggregate industry.
- The MNRF is failing to enforce aggregate regulations.
- Industry self-reporting is failing.
- There is no guarantee of rehabilitation of pits and quarries.
- The MNRF's current program for managing aggregate resources is financially and environmentally unsustainable.
For a recap of the report, here is a Fact Sheet of Findings and Recommendations.
To read the full report, click here.
As part of the Reform Gravel Mining Coalition, we continue to call on the Ontario government to safeguard lives and the environment by introducing an immediate moratorium on new aggregate approvals, in order to implement the recommendations in this report.
You too can call on the government to do this by signing this petition.
Do you like this page?